Friday 18 January 2013

I couldn't resist this!

As you all know I have a passion for French antiques and the unusual. I often see things that I love but they are normally out of my price range (champagne lifestyle, ginger beer money springs to mind!)  So I tend to make a mental list of all the things I'd like to add to my collection and search.............and search and search some more until I find it at a price I can afford.  It can be done, you just need patience and to be in the right place at the right time.

I have wanted one of these for ages to add to my collection and just happened upon this quite by accident.

French Vitrine

It is a French Vitrine in the shape of a Sedan chair and dates from the 1880s.  It was used to display a pocket watch and still has the original hook.  Perfect today to display small treasures.

The decoration is beautiful and one of the reasons I wanted one so much was because of the little cherubs.  The outside has 3 panels of painted toleware all depicting frolicking cherubs which are raised giving it a slight 3D effect.


It needs some restoration but has its original gilt ornate handle, original silk lining on the inside of the door, the original velvet interior and 3 bevelled glass windows.  It also maintains its original makers label and even plays a tune.


I couldn't resist this rare find and will leave it just the way I found it.  It has so much character and will be pride of place in my collection.  It also gave me the excuse to go out in the snow and photograph it, I think it looks great against the snowy background.

Have a great and snowy weekend! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment